This guide is for anyone who’s finished decluttering, is halfway through, has made it through a category or two, or is too anxious to start because they’re unsure what they’ll do with all junk they decide to get rid of. Of course, once you know what you will discard, the actual task of getting those things out of your home can be a major roadblock in any decluttering or organizing project – especially with kids
In part one of this post, I introduced you to a few places (local to Houston!) where you can take your past favorites – even the stuff no one really wants. Joining me in the second half, I have local moms’ guru, Amanda at West University Moms, who is sharing her top resources for streamlining after-school care and activities for your children which will give you the time you need to finish decluttering and actually clearing out the ‘junk.’
It’s worth reiterating that as a complimentary service to all of our clients, Method31 will take your unwanted items for consignment, donation, or shred upon request (as long as it fits in the car – otherwise special arrangements can be made!). And hey, no sitter required!
Book your session now!!
Of course, if you prefer to DIY your decluttering projects, more power to you! Keep reading to discover a few local workshops, afterschool programs, and other childcare options to help keep the process running smoothly.
ArtMix Creative Learning Center
ArtMix offers year-round classes, camps, parties for all occasions, open studios and more where your kiddos can enjoy creative, skill building fun as they draw, paint and sculpt, and make masterpieces inspired by artists from all around the world.
- By the day class: $45 / class
- By the semester: January 8 – May 24, 2019, $760.00 (or two payments: $400.00 and $360.00). Since the semester has already started, tuition will be prorated for remaining weeks
- Children are welcome to bring and have their (nut-free) lunch at 12:00pm and creative fun in the atrtmix open studios until class begins at 12:30pm. Artists will build their creative skills and make masterpieces inspired by a new destination each week in class
- $65.00 per workshop
- Includes lunch workshop from 12:00-2:00pm
- PLUS: stay for one hour of creative fun in our open studios, from 2:00-3:00pm.
- By the day class: $45 / class
- By the semester: January 7 – May 24, 2019, $760.00 (or two payments: $400.00 and $360.00). Since the semester has already started, tuition will be prorated for remaining weeks
- Students are placed in workshops with their same-aged peers to make masterpieces inspired by a new destination each week
BUT – an adult must stay; could be a nice activity if you would like to send your partner, co-parent, or an adult sitter with your child
- $10.00 per hour of fun
- Designed for babies and toddlers to come paint and the artmix collection of trucks, rollers and brushes and fun collection of bright colors! They have fun and simple collage projects as well
Idealab’s after-school programs for k-12 span the range of learning from Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Music (S.T.E.A.M). Classes are developed throughout the year and new programs are rolled out to all off site locations (which include Alvin, Bellaire, Cinco Ranch, Energy Corridor, Heights, Katy, Missouri City, Pearland, Richmond, Spring Branch, Sugarland, and West University – with more to come).
- 3D Printing
- Coding & Programming
- Culinary Art
- Design-Based Engineering
- Drone Engineering
- Investigative Science
- Maker Studio with Design & Engineering
- Mental Math
- Movie Studio
- Visual & Multimedia Design
- Visual Art Studio
- Enrichment activities included
- Lowest student-teacher ratios
- Onsite Tutoring options available
- After-school Hours till 6:30
- Select one or more enrichment activity per week
- Prices Vary
- Flexible enrichment program on a monthly basis
- Select any 4 classes per month for $99/mo
After School (k-6th)
- The Y partners with local school districts to offer after-school care and school-release day options
- Includes homework help, structured academic enrichment activities, indoor/outdoor physical play, hands-on engaging activity centers for students to explore, and healthy snacks
- For a complete list of sites click here
- $335/mo and up
The Y also offers a variety of arts & dance classes and workshops
- Most classes are 1pm-3pm
- All skill levels welcome
Parents Night Out Saturdays 6-11pm
- Year-Round except April 20th, May 25th, August 31st, November 30th, & December 28th
- Fully-supervised evening with games, trampolines, obstacle course, and a short G-rated movie.
- Pizza and drinks are provided.
- Walk-ins welcome but we encourage pre-registration.
- Children must be fully potty trained to attend.
In all cases described above, you can always call ahead.
Other Childcare Services
To help you get your childcare fully streamlined, the West University Moms website maintains an updated list of au pair companies (both national and local to Houston), nanny and newborn care enterprises and a myriad of babysitting options. You can find that list here:
And if you’d prefer to send your sitter, nanny, or au pair with the children to an activity while you declutter or take care of your resale/donation errands, West U Moms has you covered as well!
Other local suggests are also welcome! Feel free to list your favorite drop-off places in the comments!
If you liked this post, consider following Amanda on Instagram @WestUniversityMoms, where she posts even more local resources, activities, and events, as well as weekly mom-preneur interviews.
For more organizing tips and inspiration, you can also check out my Instagram. 😉
I am also available to the greater Houston area for decluttering, organizing, schedule management, and help with setting priorities and goals. You can call or text me at 832.930.7099 to schedule your appointment or visit the link below to schedule online